Malta’s curriculum is based on the British educational system. School starts towards the last week of September and finishes at the end of June. so students have 12 weeks of summer holidays. The other long breaks are during Christmas and Easter. Although school is not compulsory until the age of 5 years, around 95% of children aged between 3yrs – 5yrs attend kindergarten. Kindergartens focus on play, communication and development rather than structured education. Upon finishing compulsory school, students normally take different paths and either continue studying to attend the University of Malta or attend a specialised school.
In Malta the educational system is divided into four stages:
- Pre-primary (ages 3-5)
- Primary (ages 5-11)
- Secondary (ages 11-18)
- Post-secondary education
Attending school is compulsory up to the age of 16.
State schools are free to all students. Complimentary transport to and from school is moreover provided. Study materials are free of charge.
Both church and independent schools offer pre-primary to upper secondary.
Maria Regina College
College Principal: Mr. Patrick Decelis
Telephone: (+356) 2598 6500/(+356) 2598 6508/(+356) 2598 6509
St. Nicholas College
College Principal: Ms. Josephine Mifsud
Telephone: (+356) 2598 8000
St. Gorg Preca College
College Principal: Mr. Jude Zammit
Telephone: (+356) 2598 7000
There are also state schools for sixth form students:
College Principal: Paul Xuereb
Telephone: (+356) 2590 7244
For further information visit the website or their prospectus.
Giovanni Curmi Higher Secondary School
College Principal: Gaetano Calleja
Telephone: (+356) 2143 1407/(+356) 2141 6422
For further information, visit the website or their prospectus.
MCAST has six different institutions namely the Institute of Applied Science, the Institute of Creative Arts, the Institute of Engineering and Transport, the Institute of Business Management and Commerce, the Institute of Community Services, the Institute of Information and Communication Technology. View their prospectus here.
Students studying any course at Level 4 (Advanced Diploma) are eligible to apply for Erasmus+, a partnership with companies and educational institutes across Europe. Students will be working as apprentices abroad for two to four weeks during Easter holidays or summer as part of a paid internship funded by Erasmus. 80% of the remuneration is funded prior to the commencement of the internship, whereas the remaining 20% are provided upon providing the necessary documentation and report regarding your participation. Eligibility is based on student’s performance (academic record), attendance and behavior. Should you require further information, you are cordially asked to contact Mr. Christian Debono on firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit a hard copy of the application form which must be signed by you and your director/deputy director together with an original copy of your curriculum vitae by the end of October. You should also send a soft copy of the curriculum vitae to Desiree.Civelli@mcast.edu.mt.
College Principal: Joachim James Calleja
Telephone: (+356) 2398 7100
ITS (Institution of Tourism Studies)
Specialist schools have specialist teachers as well as equipment and other resources for children with learning difficulties. These schools also help with the integration of children of all ages with special needs.
Telephone: (+356) 2379 3100
You can view the prospectus for full-time programmes here.
Helen Keller Resource Centre
Telephone: (+356) 2164 2398
Church schools are divided into boys and girls. Listed below are some of the church school that are found in Malta.
Primary and Secondary Church Schools:
Headmaster: Fr. Mark Ellul
Telephone: (+356) 2145 5497
De La Salle College
Telephone: (+356) 2182 6447/(+356) 2182 0955
Stella Maris College Primary School
Telephone: (+356) 2733 0958
St. Dorothy’s Primary School
Head of School: Sister Frances Galea
Address: Triq l-Imdina, Zebbug ZBG9013, Malta
Telephone: (+356) 2146 6137
Sacred Heart College Junior School
Telephone: (+356) 2133 6238
St. Monica School
Telephone: (+356) 2134 0127
San Andrea School
Telephone: (+356) 2143 8800
Email: Early and Middle Years: email@example.com
Email: Seniors: firstname.lastname@example.org
San Anton School
Telephone: (+356) 2158 1907
St Edwards (Kindergarten/Primary/Secondary/Sixth Form)
Telephone: (+356) 2182 5978/(+356) 2788 1199
Juniors: email@example.com (From Year 1 to Year 5)
Middle: firstname.lastname@example.org (From Year 6 to Year 8)
Seniors: email@example.com (From Year 9 to Year 11)
Sixth Form: firstname.lastname@example.org
When it comes to international and other private schools, parents pay school fees for these institutions and also need to buy school supplies and uniforms.